الخميس، 25 أبريل 2019

Egyptian Gazette, April 25, 2019




Image result for families and beach



Happy When… Happy Despite

On my fortieth birthday, I made a massive self-discovery: I have been postponing happiness for the most part of my life. I was the "happy when" type, the one who always needed something to happen as a condition for her happiness.
Over the years, I have unconsciously deceived myself with the promise to be happy when I achieve something substantial or reach a big goal.  Regrettably, I could never keep the happiness promise because I would set another condition for happiness the moment I was finished with the previous one. I was always busy “doing” and never had the time for “being” happy.
I was not alone in this; almost all my family members and friends had the same “happy when” attitude:
I will be Happy when I get married.
I will be happy when I get that job.
I will be happy when I get my Ph.D.
I will be happy when the kids grow.
I will be happy when they graduate and get married.
I will be happy when I move to the new house.
I will be happy when I lose those extra kilos.
I will be happy when I get my dream car.

And I was happy for all these things… but only briefly since I had to hurry up and set a new goal.  I tended to take all my achievements and possessions for granted and aspire for something bigger.  My craving for “doing” more simply exceeded the longing for “being” happy. 
Unconditional  Happiness

Now that the realization struck me like a tornado, I attempted to remember the last time I was unconditionally happy, a time when I did not set a target and just went with the flow.  To my surprise, I had to go as far back to the time when I was a child! I saw myself playing on the beach with my sister, brother and some twelve cousins. My parents, uncles and aunts were sitting under three overlapping umbrellas talking, laughing and eating as if there were no worries in their world.   

I tried to figure out when I switched from this care-free, “just be happy for now” to “a happy when" attitude. More questions kept buzzing in my head:  was it a personal trait of mine or a cultural thing?  Was it the result of being brought up to feel happy only when I could achieve my family’s pre-decided goals?  Did it have to do with an outdated educational system which stressed academic excellence as a condition for happiness and an end in itself?
   
Guilt-flavored Happiness
Instead of coming up with a clear- cut answer, the bee-hive in my head produced another sweeping discovery.  I realized that every time I caught myself feeling happy for one little thing or another, the feeling was coupled with a sense of guilt!  How can I be happy while a relative is still sick? Or when sibling is stressed out before a final exam?  Or when a friend has just lost her husband?  The reasons to worry and the things to fret over were always there. Deep down, I had the notion that as long as they existed, I had no right to be happy.  Thus, happiness itself turned into a burden; it became another reason for self-torture and entailed a sense of guilt for not being supportive or, at least, appreciative of others’ feelings.
Thus, seizing the opportunity to grab a moment of fleeting happiness would be ruined by my automatic pilot taking over; it would drag me down a spiral to the real world. My preset- to -guilt mind would shun the happiness urge and start to do its real business: spotting a problem and trying to solve it, insisting that happiness can be postponed but problems cannot.

Happy or Sane?
Delving deeper, I found out that the tendency to postpone happiness is an inherent cultural issue.  The typical Egyptian phrase “Khair Allah oma eg3alo khair"- meaning may God not turn this cheerful situation into the opposite- is proof of my assumption.  If you are with friends or family and a fit of laughter strikes for one reason or another, you will always find a sane person volunteering to remind you of the “sacred Egyptian phrase” as if you have no right to be so happy.  The fact that the phrase has the name of Allah Almighty gives it another layer of “fake” validity: it makes it sound like some kind of a religious supplication as if God is likely to punish us for feeling happy!
Why cannot we just replace the usual" happy when" with a "happy despite" attitude? Choose to be happy despite the pain, the traffic jams, the loss of a dear one or the failure to get the job. If there is one thing I know for sure by now it is this: HAPPINESS is a CHOICE.  It is such a subjective, relative, brief and elusive feeling.  I simply do not know what makes you happy and I am not in a position to give advice about it. All I can tell you here is how the little things that go unnoticed in a busy day can make me happy once I took the decision to be so.  I can feel joyful for something as simple as sipping a cup of tea with a friend,  exchanging heartfelt smiles with a stranger,  a one- day- trip with my husband to a park or a beach, a bunch of lilies in a vase by my desk, watching a movie with my kids, or reading a good book. Happiness is short and elusive; find what makes you happy and grab a moment or two every day by purposefully choosing to be HAPPY DESPITE everything.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق